17 February, 2008

Don't ask to give if you're not willing to take.

Orgasm count since last entry: two, self-inflicted.

Internet dating sites are funny things. After a while, you do notice some prevailing patterns, I have found. The site that I have been trawling has a list of ticky boxes on your profile, where you can tick what sort of sexual activities, whether it be vanilla intercourse, oral sex, exhibitionism, softcore kinky stuff, or anal.

A thing that has always struck me is that the vast majority of the men on that site have the "anal - giving" box ticked. I have yet to find a man on that site who says he is willing to receive it. Now, I'm sure there are some good reasons for this: the female population of that site is only a fraction of the male one, and I often see a disclaimer on male profiles saying, "No, I'm not gay, so men, please stop propositioning me." I suppose professing a willingness to receive anal would imply an opening for the homosexual community on that site, pardon the pun. So I do understand why a man would not want to admit a willingness to take it up the arse, even if he might, in fact, be willing. That, and I suspect that a lot of men find the concept of receiving anal sex somewhat emasculating. A friend of mine, when I asked him about that, also pointed out that men are more programmed to stick their penises into things, rather than having one stuck into them.

So I do feel a certain amount of empathy there. But I can't help but think, you shouldn't profess an interest to sticking it in someone's arse if you're not willing to take it. It just seems a tiny bit rude. Which is why I tick neither box. Sure, I occasionally enjoy donning a strap-on and pegging a willing recipient, and I have no problem with being anally penetrated, so long as the phallus isn't absolutely enormous. But I suppose I don't want potential sex partners immediately asking me for anal, either. It's a strange sort of etiquette in my mind, I suppose. Maybe one day anal will be less of a touchy subject, and people will be more readily willing to do it, even with casual encounters, but I don't think today is that day. And perhaps anal will always belong into the category of things you do with someone you trust, rather than someone you have dirty sex on the washing machine with, and then never talk to again. I don't know, are there any people out there who would readily have anal sex in a casual encounter? Double points if it's receiving.

No comments: